Although I am not fond of following other countries’ traditions because we have more than enough of our own, Black Friday is one of those traditions that I will not complain about. We have all seen the pictures of Americans lined up outside Walmart the day after Thanksgiving in the icy-cold weather. Here, in SA, we are doing it a little differently. Our online retailers are going big this year and the discounts are going to be huge. Say goodbye to your paychecks!
I have listed a couple of online retailers who I know are having Black Friday Sales. Feel free to inform us of any other stores which you might be aware of.
- Kalahari, Since they are merging with Takealot any day now, we are expecting Kalahari to go out with a bang this festive season.
- Takealot, They have been running Takealot Tuesday for the past 3 days. I have no doubt that they have something up their sleeves for tomorrow. Have a look at some of the deals they have been running so far.
- Dion Wired has been posting teaser ads for weeks.
- Zando started their Black Friday Sale yesterday but only for MTN subscribers. It will be open to everyone tomorrow.
- Spree is taking it offline with a sample sale at the CTICC starting tomorrow.
- Superbalist has been advertising site-wide discounts since Monday. They are currently at 35%. Expect bigger discounts tomorrow.
- Checkers seems to be the first food retailer to jump on the bandwagon. Their sale is not online but in-store. Check out some of the specials they have advertised on the website. It may be worth standing in the line:
These are a few more retailers who are having sales but I haven’t verified it myself:
House and Home
Mr Price Home
Some General Rules of Online Sale Shopping:
- Its not yours until you have paid for it! Even if its in your basket, it can disappear. Fastest fingers first.
- Most online sales start at midnight- you snooze, you lose.
- Our wonderful online stores have a habit of crashing, especially around 8am when most people start shopping (yes, you are supposed to be working!)- so once again- the early bird catches the worm.
- Generally, you need a cheque or credit card. Some stores do take ebucks, Discovery Miles, etc.
- With all shopping, try to set a budget and stick to it.