I always battle to find chilled activities to try during the week after a long day’s work. So, when I stumbled across the Galileo outdoor cinema which screens classic movies under a ceiling of stars… who can resist?
I looked at the movie schedule and realised that there are 3 locations for this open air cinema. Namely, Kirstenbosch Gardens (Wednesdays) , Hillcrest Quarry ( Durbanville – on Tuesdays) and the Waterfront (Thursdays) . I decided to watch a movie at the Hillcrest quarry in Durbanville.
On arrival, I looked down into the quarry and a backdrop of a hill and lake welcomed me. We hired chairs (R20) and blankets (R10). There was a bar where you could buy drinks, coffee, etc as well as popcorn and food. The other locations serve food and drinks as well.
We brought a picnic basket, so we didn’t need to buy anything from the bar. However, I did buy a coffee and it was really good.
The movie started at about 8:15pm. The sound and screening was excellent. The only downfall was that it gets very cold in the evenings, so dress warmly.
The movie schedule has real classics like Nottinghill, Romeo and Juliet, Titanic, The Matrix, etc. Have a look at the line up.
You can purchase tickets on their website and the options are (per person) :
- Standard ticket – R70
- Single Entry – R79 (With 1 blanket)
- Comfy – R88 (With a chair)
- Warm and Comfy – R95 (With blanket and chair)
The programme runs until the end of April 2014. If it does rain on the evening, they will cancel the movie. But, you will get a full refund or an option to watch the next available movie.
Book your ticket now while the weather is still good. You wont be disappointed!
To WIN 2 Tickets to watch TITANIC on the 11 February 2014 at Hillcrest Quarry (Cape Town) all you have to do is:
1. RT (Retweet) this blog and add #SuitcasesLattes #GalileoCT
3. Please read terms and conditions below
Thinks to know
Website : www.thegalileo.co.za
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone : +27 (0) 86 122 5598
Competition: Terms and Conditions
- One lucky person will win 2 tickets to watch Titanic on the 11th of Feb 2014 at the Galileo cinema at Hillcrest Quarry Durbanville
- No transport will be provided
- Winners will be notified via Twitter – the decision is random and final
- Tickets are not transferable – if you are unable to attend on that date, a new winner will be drawn.
- The winner has to reside in Cape Town or be in Cape Town on the date of the screening